Fashion rules that are meant to be broken

When we’re young, we hear that rules are there for a reason, and once we reach our rebellious stage we spend our time testing out the validity of those rules. But when it comes to fashion, an outlet for expression, why is it that so many outdated rules are still being followed? Well, as of 2013, I say we get a little rebellious and put an end to them.

No White After Labor Day: I’ve heard a few reasons as to why this rule was implemented, but none of them actually make sense now. There is no reason for limiting your wardrobe to a certain time of the year. White goes with a variety of things that can be worn in the fall, winter and spring. It should not be limited to the sweltering summer months. Not to mention, white accessories this season can really add to an outfit. So, this is definitely one rule that has got to go!

No Mixing Prints and Shoes, and Bags Must Always Match: I’m grouping these two together for the obvious reason that they both deal with the idea of matching. These rules do have a solid foundation, and I do understand where they’re coming from. When people mix and match different prints they can easily transform into an eyesore for the general population. There are just some things that will never ever ever fit together (no, that was not meant to be said in the tune of Taylor Swift’s song, but do it if you must). However, there are some patterns that do work but have never gotten the chance to flourish. The trick with mixing prints is to find a common denominator with them, like similar color schemes.

The idea that shoes and bags must always match absolutely kills me. If there is one thing that should be outlawed, it’s being too “matchy-matchy.” I find not being overly matchy very cool. It’s good to be a bit quirky with your personal style and not just wear things because they seem to match.

Red Lips Are For Night: Another outdated fashion rule is that red lipstick should only be reserved for a night out. I find this one to be odd because I grew up with a mother who rocked the power lip during day as well as at night. I never saw anything wrong with that, if anything, I wanted to be just like her. I understand the concern for looking too dressed up in a more casual setting, but if you want to wear red lipstick when the sun is still shining, go for it. You’re making a statement and brightening up your face. Let your other make-up choices play the supporting role to your lips. In the day, wear more natural tones to accompany your bold lips. At night you can let your red lips co-star with another feature, like wearing bolder eye make-up.