<p><span>Christin Mercer (25) drives the lane in UF’s 87-54 win against Alabama on Feb. 3. Coach Amanda Butler has identified Mercer as an important post player for the Gators.</span></p>
<div><span><br /></span></div>

Christin Mercer (25) drives the lane in UF’s 87-54 win against Alabama on Feb. 3. Coach Amanda Butler has identified Mercer as an important post player for the Gators.

Florida’s coaching staff urged Christin Mercer to not become complacent following her best performance of the season against Alabama. 

Logging 23 minutes during UF’s 87-54 victory on Feb. 3, the 6-foot freshman finished with 18 points on 9-of-12 shooting and pulled down 11 rebounds. Both were career-high numbers. 

Mercer did not disappoint in her encore. 

In Florida’s 65-57 victory against Auburn — the Gators’ first win on the road against the Tigers since Feb. 29, 2004 — Mercer scored 12 points and grabbed nine rebounds. More importantly, she helped provide a spark for Florida’s stagnant first-half offense that scored just two points in the first 8:56 of the game. 

“You see a kid that is showing the potential that is there that we have all been harping on and really getting on her about the whole season,” assistant coach David Lowery said. “Just being able to be consistent, I think that has been the most important thing that I’ve noticed from her.”

Mercer was again efficient offensively against the Tigers, making 6 of 9 attempts from the floor in 23 minutes.

She also recorded one steal in the game. 

The improved play has given her a renewed sense of confidence in her own abilities as well. 

“Having career highs and going back and having another high game and almost getting a double-double — I missed it by one rebound — it builds your confidence,” Mercer said.

“Just going out there and playing like you know what you can do.”

Mercer struggled during Florida’s five-game losing streak in January. She shot just 36.7 percent from the floor during the stretch and often appeared out of sync on both ends of the floor. 

Her nadir came against Ole Miss on Jan. 24, the third game in UF’s skid.

Mercer logged just 8 minutes of action in the contest and finished with 0-of-3 shooting in an 88-81 overtime loss in the O’Connell Center.

However, coach Amanda Butler began to see a change in Mercer shortly afterward. 

Butler praised her freshman for working harder in practice to prepare for Alabama and inserted her into the starting lineup for just the fourth time of the season against the Crimson Tide.

“(Mercer) has had some performances that made us confident about her being out there to set the tone,” Butler said after beating Alabama. 

As Mercer continues to fuel the Gators, she also augments the play of senior Jennifer George.

George, who is often double-teamed by opponents, has found more space to work with the focus not fully on her in the frontcourt.  

On Sunday, the pair combined for 23 points, and the Gators outscored the Tigers 30-18 in the paint.  

“That’s what we need right now and is a big reason why, as of late, we are looking better and playing better,” George said.  “Teams can’t double up on me because they have to worry about her.” 

Florida’s coaching staff hopes it has found a go-to duo that can be counted on down the stretch this season.

“That’s one of the things that we have preached to Christin: ‘If you can come in here and be effective and do some things, that is going to free up a whole lot of things for Jennifer and make you a really, really big part of our offense,’” Lowery said.

“I think she has really bought into that.” 

Contact Phillip Heilman at pheilman@alligator.org.