Monday, April 29, 2024

Steady improvement and solid outings seem to be themes for the Gators track and field team this season.

Personal bests fueled Florida to one of its most complete performances of the season at the Frank Sevigne Husker Invitational in Lincoln, Neb.

Sophomore sprinter Dedric Dukes, who was named the invitational MVP, had the most impressive race. Dukes, a natural outdoor runner, set a Husker Invitational record in the 200 meters with a time of 20.95, breaking the previous record of 20.96.

"I’m very proud of Dedric and his performances this weekend," coach Mike Holloway said. "He executed two good races this weekend, and he’s just getting started. He’s continuing to become accustomed to running indoors, but it’s foreign to him."

Youth continues to be the driving force behind the Gators’ consistent success. Freshmen sprinters Arman Hall and Shayla Sanders each set personal bests this weekend. Hall set his in the 400 meters while Sanders set hers in both the 60 and 200 meters.

"I’m very proud of Arman and Shayla but not surprised," Holloway said. "They’re never satisfied, and it’s that desire to stay hungry that will keep them focused heading into championship season."

Despite its youth presence, Florida’s upperclassmen put on a solid performance.

Juniors Lorraine Graham and Ciarra Brewer had standout performances for the Gators during the weekend. Graham and Brewer placed second and third in the long jump, respectively.

For freshman sprinter Kyra Jefferson, the upperclassmen have been a beacon for what to expect at college meets.

"They’ve helped me with some of the ins and outs about meets and tracks and how it’s going to be when we actually go," Jefferson said last week.

Florida managed to win three events this weekend. Dukes took the 200 meters, Hall won the 400 meters, and sophomore jumper Ciarra Brewer earned the title in the triple jump.

"I’m very proud of the team as a whole," Holloway said. "We had lots of personal records and season bests this weekend. We just have to keep remembering how we got to this point. We’re getting into the championship portion of our season and with hard work and a lot of effort, those efforts will lead us where we want to go."