Heart disease patients could benefit from yoga

<p>Michael Espinosa, a 28-year-old yoga instructor and executive director at The Ark School of Fitness, teaches Amy Grossman, 28, left, and Kaylani Merrill, 33, seated meditation Saturday morning.</p>

Michael Espinosa, a 28-year-old yoga instructor and executive director at The Ark School of Fitness, teaches Amy Grossman, 28, left, and Kaylani Merrill, 33, seated meditation Saturday morning.

Downward facing dog could potentially help manage heart rhythm problems and improve state of mind.

People who participated in a University of Kansas Medical Center study released last month suffered from shortness of breath and fatigue, which is attributed to the heart disease known as atrial fibrillation.

The study included 49 people who have had atrial fibrillation for about five years.

Many of the participants reported their heart rates dropped about five beats per minute after regular yoga workouts, according to Reuters.

The activity is described as a combination of breathing techniques, meditation and physical exercise.

The study found yoga helps improve the general quality of life, anxiety and depression.

After yoga, Somaly Nou, a 20-year-old UF psychology sophomore, said she feels relaxed and optimistic that her day is going to be good.

Qianhui Zhang, a psychology intern at UF’s Counseling and Wellness Center, said yoga puts people in a place that calls for a lot of focus on the body.

“For yoga, a lot of times when we are in our daily functioning, our brain is constantly working, either worrying about the future or ruminating about what happen in the past,” she said. “It raises awareness in not clinging onto some of the thoughts and worries that we usually have.”