Patticakes — food porn at its finest

<p><span>Four cupcakes (clockwise from back): Espresso, Chocolate Explosion, Caramel Latte and Oreo</span></p>

Four cupcakes (clockwise from back): Espresso, Chocolate Explosion, Caramel Latte and Oreo

In my mind, the name “Patticakes” is now synonymous with the term food porn. After a week of being über healthy — going to the gym, eating cottage cheese and spinach leaves for lunch, and juicing like there is no tomorrow — I was ready to indulge. Enter the cupcakes.

The Haile Village cupcake and coffee shop is the picture of coziness. A lounge area off of the main entrance offers a couch, several tables and lounge chairs for patrons to sip coffee while reading books or studying. Or, in my case, cram your face with cupcakes. A community board allows you to pre-pay for a friend and leave a note, letting them know you’re thinking about them. My personal favorite was “For Tubby, Love Grasshopper.”

My first visit to Patticakes revealed that its cupcake menu changes daily, depending on the availability of ingredients and the whim of the head baker. So naturally, after sampling the cinnamon maple walnut and the lemon blueberry poppy seed (swoon), I knew I would have to return. In addition to its cupcake offerings, Patticakes also serves up gourmet coffee, ice cream, tea, and smoothies. Using local brand DeConna Ice Cream, Patticakes touts its milkshakes as “the best” in Gainesville. Most cupcakes are $2.75, but some go up to $3.75. And coffee and tea drinks are around $3 to $3.50. 

On my second trip, my hope was to score one of its rare flavors, such as bacon or hibiscus, which have been known to make an appearance. However, this visit awarded me with several new flavors to try, including the espresso on chocolate, which complimented my cortadito sweet coffee perfectly. This also resulted in my having to detox from an overdose of sugar and caffeine. But trust me, it was worth it.

At A Glance Details:

Most popular items: Black Tie, Red Velvet

Must try:

• Cupcakes: Lemon Blueberry Poppy Seed, Cinnamon Maple Walnut, Espresso on Chocolate

• Drinks: Cortadito coffee

Hours: Monday—Saturday: 8 a.m. – 9 p.m.

Location: Haile Village Center (9124 SW 51st Rd. Gainesville, FL 32608)

Website: www.patticakesgnv.com