It amazes me that a piece of clothing so tiny can still be considered fashionable or not fashionable. Bathing suits are a prime clothing item for the upcoming months of tanning, but for most sunburning.

So, what’s in style for bathing suits this season? I bet you’re in shock that there’s so much that a designer can even do with a foot of fabric to create a bikini top or bottom. But oh, they can.

Here are the top trends for bathing suits in 2013:

1. High-waisted styles: Just when you stopped making fun of your mom for her “mom jeans,” you’re going to have to rock those mom jeans, but in bathing suit form. Bathing suit styles have gone retro this season, from ruffle bustier tops to the high-waisted bottoms. If you’re ready to confuse and/or please your grandmother by wearing a replica of her bathing suit, Modcloth has a great selection of high-waisted swimsuits.

2. Fringe tops: People wear fringe bathing suit tops as actual tops, so it was only obvious that they would be in style for their actual purpose. A little impractical for actual swimming (think lots of string flapping around in the water). But fashion always beats out function. Nordstrom has a few adorable fringe tops that I’d like to get my hands on, and comb through, sometimes before spring break.

3. Monokinis: If you can rock a monokini, which for those of you who don’t know is basically a bikini with a strip of fabric connecting the two parts, major props to you girlfriend. Monokinis are the fedoras of bathing suits, everyone always says they want to buy one and wear one, but they never actually end up doing it. And don’t think because of that little piece of fabric you’re showing less skin. Turns out, and I know from personal experience in recent dressing rooms, the cutouts actually accentuate everything you don’t want to have looked at. By just showing the sides of you, it’s drawing the eyes right to your belly, hips, etc. But if you’re bold enough, Victoria’s Secret has a wide variety of sexual, yet trendy monkinis. Do it if you’re bad.

4. Throwback color-blocking: When I saw this on the runway my first thought was “I can totally get that from Forever 21” and I was right. Forever 21 now has a huge variety of color-blocked bikinis for appallingly low prices. The bathing suits are a must. Music from the ‘80s is optional.

5. Floral, floral and more floral: If you’ve always dreamed of looking like a tapestry, here is your chance! Colorful floral prints are in for bathing suits this season. That retro business and florals go hand and hand as well. For some options try Urban Outfitters (surprise! They have bathing suits) or Forever 21 yet again.