The ultimate guide to the Oscars

It’s award season and I’m sure you may have become lost in the hype the Grammys, been wowed by Justin Timberlake’s performance and were completely appalled by Jennifer Lopez’s leg show, but now it’s the time for the real deal. It’s the Academy Awards.

The Academy Awards, which take place on Feb. 24 this year, are sure to be the best of the award season because, to be frank, most of these people actually have talent.

The most coveted award, best picture, has a stellar arrangement of films nominated. The nominations are: “Amour,” “Life of Pi,” “Argo,” “Lincoln,” “Beasts of the Southern Wild,” “Silver Linings Playbook,” “Django Unchained,” “Zero Dark Thirty” and "Les Misérables.”

“Argo” won the Golden Globe for drama, making it a favored winner for the Academy Award as well. Though, in my opinion, Steven Spielberg’s “Lincoln” has a shot at it as well. I think “Les Miserables” has the least chance of winning. The movie was just a whole lot of sing-talking stretched out into a two and a half hour movie. It did, however, fair well at the Globes. 

Daniel Day-Lewis is my favorite to win best actor for his performance in “Lincoln.” Bradley Cooper, Hugh Jackman, Joaquin Phoenix and Denzel Washington are also nominated.

For best actress, I am just in love with Jennifer Lawrence’s bubbly attitude and how she acts off screen so I would like her to win, and I think a large amount of people agree. Though, critics say Emmanuelle Riva from “Amour” should win hands down. The other actresses nominated are Jessica Chastain, Quvenzhane Wallis and Naomi Watts.

The tightest race that has critics in an uproar is for best supporting actor. Alan Arkin in “Argo,” Robert De Niro in “Silver Linings Playbook,” Philip Seymour Hoffman in “The Master,” Tommy Lee Jones in “Lincoln” and Christoph Waltz in “Django Unchained” are nominated. Waltz won the Golden Globe. But the real race is between Hoffman, Jones and De Niro.

But who will I be putting my money on that night? Jones.

For best supporting actress, the nominations are Amy Adams, Sally Field, Anne Hathaway, Helen Hunt and Jacki Weaver. There are rumors out there that Anne Hathaway is campaigning for an Oscar win for “Les Miserables.” She may win, though I don’t think she deserves it. Her performance in Les Miz was respectable, but I hate the fact that she may win just because she’s really, really good at crying. For me “good at crying” is not a solid enough reason to give someone the most coveted award in the movie industry.

So there you have it, there are my picks for the big awards the night of the Oscars. For the whole list of nominations visit the Oscars' website.