Camilla Hedberg and the fifth-ranked Florida women’s golf team are in second place after Round 1 of the Northrop Grumman Regional Challenge in Palos Verdes, Calif.

After the first round of the tournament no team has shot below par, with the lowest being UCLA, which leads after shooting 4 over par (288) in the first round.  Florida is currently tied for second with Duke at 6 over par (290).

The Gators are looking to capture their fourth victory of the season and sixth consecutive individual title.

UF is facing stiff competition in the Grumman Challenge against some of the best teams in the nation, according to the rankings from Golfweek.com.

The challenge includes multiple teams in the top 10 such as No. 1 Washington, No. 3 USC, No. 4 Duke, and No. 7 Arizona.

“It’ll be another outstanding field for us and a good chance for us to see some of the west coast teams and play on their home turf,” coach Emily Bastel said in a release. “I think the win at the Florida Challenge got everyone excited to go tee it up again.”

UF hopes to continue its success after coming off of a win in the Florida Challenge. Mia Piccio, the No. 3 starter for the Grumman Challenge, is coming off an individual win at the Lady Bulldog Individual Championship.  

Isabelle Lendl, the only player besides Hedberg to start in all six tournaments this season, felt prepared for the course.

“I know we’re expecting fast greens,” Lendl said.

“The greens are always fast. There’s usually some good rough there. The course is always in great shape; it’s very hilly so I’ve been practicing a lot of high shots to greens, bump and runs, undulating putts and chip shots from the rough …. all you can do is play your best golf.”

Hedberg and Piccio are leading Florida after both posted an identical first round of 71 for even par. 

For Hedberg, a victory in the Grumman Challenge would be her fourth of the season and her second consecutive in the spring.

Piccio is looking to continue her successful senior season after winning the aforementioned Bulldog Invitational and finishing tied for eighth at the Florida Challenge. 

The three other Gator starters in the Grumman are junior transfer Elcin Ulu, Lendl and sophomore Anna Young. Lendl and Young tied for 19th after shooting a 3 over par 74.  

Ulu shot a team worst 79 (+8) to tie for 60th. Ulu has played sporadically this season and is continuing to slip since shooting a 69 in her first round of the spring at the Florida Challenge. 

The Gators are in prime position for another victory after the unexpected results of some of their competition.

The top-ranked Huskies are currently tied for 13th, 19 strokes behind Florida.

There are two more rounds left in the Grumman Challenge. The championship round is on Wednesday.