UF students who want a place to nap on campus might get it.

They only need to follow the lead of a 19-year-old Harvard University student who recently petitioned for napping facilities on campus, according to a news release from MetroNaps, a company that develops solutions for workplace fatigue.

Missy Clapp, outreach and instruction librarian for Library West, said the library doesn’t have napping facilities because its priority is study space. She said she doesn’t see a need for napping facilities because many students live close to campus.

However, Clapp said, the library is open to student suggestions and works closely with UF Student Government to implement new ideas like this.

“Everything we have and everything we do is for the students,” she said. “If napping becomes a priority for students, why not have a place for that?”

When Library West reopened in 2006 after renovations, it had beanbags on the third floor. Clapp said they were too difficult to keep clean and were removed.

Other schools like Saint Leo University and Carnegie Mellon University offer their students places to nap. Both universities have installed MetroNaps’ EnergyPods, chairs designed for napping.

The pod offers a 20-minute nap experience, said Kenneth Posner, associate vice president for student services at Saint Leo. It tilts back, shines LED lights and plays soothing music. After 20 minutes, it gently awakens the user with louder music, vibrations and by tilting back into its upright position.

Posner said students use the four free pods in the newest residence hall on campus all the time.

Erika Linke, associate dean of libraries at Carnegie Mellon, said students can find a place to nap in the $9,000 pods inside the campus cafe.

“The need to nap has always been there,” she said. “Now we’re providing a more sophisticated way to do it.”