Europe comes alive in annual Gainesville festival

<p>Camelia Moisescu, of Romania, makes martisors with her grandchildren — Stefanie, 6, and Michael, 8 — at the Viva Europe! festival in downtown Gainesville on Saturday. Women wear these pins during March to symbolize the coming of spring.</p>

Camelia Moisescu, of Romania, makes martisors with her grandchildren — Stefanie, 6, and Michael, 8 — at the Viva Europe! festival in downtown Gainesville on Saturday. Women wear these pins during March to symbolize the coming of spring.

Gainesville got a taste of the Old World as the second annual Viva Europe! festival brought performers, residents and students together in a daylong celebration of European cultures Saturday.

The event, held on Bo Diddley Community Plaza, was organized by the UF Center for European Studies, along with the UF International Center, Santa Fe College and other sponsors.

Attendees soaked in the culture with diverse musical and dance performances, food vendors and games.

The event opened with remarks by Mayor Craig Lowe, who said it showcases one of the city’s many great aspects.

Lowe later said European cultures offer a valuable educational opportunity for the city.

“Each one of those cultures provides a perspective that we can learn from,” he said.

Montreal Türk Kültür Merkezi Halk Oyunları Ekibi, a four-person dance troupe, then kicked off the festival with regional Turkish dances. The group traveled to Florida from Montreal, Canada, to headline the festival.

Throughout the day, guests were also treated to performances by several local musicians.

At the top of every hour, organizers and attendees joined in traditional folk sing-alongs from France, Italy, Germany and Spain.

Debbie Parrales, a UF French graduate student and instructor, showcased her photography from her travels in Europe in the festival’s Tour d’Europe tent.

Parrales said she became interested in Europe after she participated in her high school’s exchange student program in Switzerland and southern France.

“Paris is everything everyone says it is, but you don’t get to interact as much with people,” she said. “Once you go to the South of France, you get to go into the homes…and they’re just so inviting that I just fell in love with it.”

The Tour d’Europe tent featured displays, literature and activities from countries such as the Netherlands, Spain and Hungary. The UF EU Club also gave away free books and souvenirs related to the European Union.

Families had the opportunity to learn to play bocce, an Italian ball sport, or make pasta at the Italy display table inside the children’s tent.

At the Viva Europe! Marketplace, bargain hunters looked for deals on Turkish jewelry, Polish purses and Bulgarian martenitsa, an accessory made out of yarn.

Gail Keeler, outreach coordinator for the UF Center for European Studies, said if there was one thing Americans could learn from Europe, it’s to hold onto their heritage.

“Even though you’re moving forward and becoming modern in many ways, remember some traditions of your ancestors,” she said. “We should have a way to keep them alive.”