Where to start is one of the hardest parts of searching for a job. While the internet has opened an entirely new method of access to the job market, it has also made the process a lot more complicated. The job openings section of a newspaper is now transformed into a web search that produces so many opportunities. The searching is a job within itself and overwhelming. As a senior, I have been involved in this search process all year. A lot of the searches are trial and error based. Sometimes potential matches come up and other times the match is nothing close to what you want to pursue.

Prepare

Before you start any type of search, decide what you want to apply for. If you aren’t completely sure don’t freak out, but narrow down your options to a specific field or position type. If you are unsure use your educational background or interests for guidance. Make sure to have some sort of starting point. It is fine to change your mind along the way, but it is better to have a place to begin and divert from it then feel lost.

Be resourceful

As a student utilize the Career Resource Center. If you don’t have time to stop by, just browse their website. As a student you have complete access to a job bank. This includes internships, fellowships and full time positions. Often times their listings allow you to sign up for on-campus interviews. This makes interviewing an easier process because you don’t have to worry about transportation or missing chunks of school for an interview. The database allows you to search for jobs by many different fields and allows you to use keywords. Make sure to try all types of combinations to find potential jobs. Don’t be afraid to narrow your searches because being too broad will return thousands of matches that aren’t actually matches. Balancing the nature of the search is difficult, but with practice and time eventually the types of matches you want will appear.

Surf the Web

Instead of going the broad route and visiting websites like Career Builder or Monster, find a website that only posts jobs for your field. For example, Journalismjobs.com only posts jobs related to the communications field. It allows narrow searches related to advertising or public relations as well as journalism print or broadcast. Different fields have these types of job posting websites. Instead of being matched with positions not related to anything you ever studied, these sites are tailored to a specific skill set from the beginning.

Ask around

Never underestimate opening your mouth. Express your interests to friends and family because you never know who knows someone that could hire you for a job. Connections are ideal in networking and meeting people. Get your name out for people to see and hear so you can be considered for opportunities that may arise. Even if a company isn’t hiring, but you are interested in working for them, send them an email. Introduce yourself, attach a resume and express interest. You never know when a position may open up.

Organize

You never know when a company may contact you back. If you apply for jobs via email, make sure to save and label all applications into files. Make notes to yourself so you remember what company and position you applied for. You don’t want to forgot or be unsure if a company contacts you back a few weeks or even months later. Always follow up if you don’t hear back within a week or so. Many companies have an automated reply stating they will contact you if interested. If you emailed an actual person versus a company account, give them a week or so and then email them back expressing interest. Being persistent, but not annoying is important. Ensure you are showing interest without being overbearing. Make sure to save and update all correspondence.

Patience is a virtue

Be patient and remember that even though a company may be hiring, you aren’t what they are thinking about on a day-to-day basis. Remember they are working people with a job to attend to. Don’t get upset or frustrated if it takes time to hear back. If a company isn’t interested in you, don’t think you aren’t good enough. If there wasn’t a match on both ends then it wouldn’t be a successful match in the long run.