How did UF respond to Nike’s Fuel Your Team tournament? Students said, “Just Do It.”

On Wednesday night, about 300 students sprinted, jumped, lunged and leaped in an intense one-hour workout in the Stephen C. O’Connell Center led by Nike Training Club professional trainers.

UF was the first of three universities chosen for the special workout, which is part of Nike’s “Intensity #COUNTS” initiative, said Jeron Smith, brand manager for Nike basketball.

“Intensity #COUNTS brings the spirit of competition to college fans at a time when the energy around the game is at its highest,” said Nike spokesman Brian Strong.

The initiative gives fans an opportunity to pledge NikeFuel points on behalf of their school and compete with others. Users can track their activity through various Nike+ devices that calculate NikeFuel and upload it, Strong said.

“I’m here because it’s a chance to generate fuel points for our team and beat Oregon,” said 20-year-old UF applied physiology and kinesiology junior Goeto Dantes. “We love Nike, and we’re here to represent The Gator Nation.”

Kelly Hill said she thinks UF will do well in the competition.

“We’re a really active campus, and it would be really easy to make the fuel count for UF,” the 21-year-old UF animal biology junior said.

The competition will continue until the end of the NCAA March Madness Tournament. Track UF’s progress at www.nike.com/fuelyourteam.

UF students show their intensity at the Nike Fuel Your Team Intensity #COUNTS workout in the Stephen C. O’Connell Center on Wednesday night.

UF students show their intensity at the Nike Fuel Your Team Intensity #COUNTS workout in the Stephen C. O’Connell Center in March 2013.