The best items in a wardrobe aren’t the most expensive ones, they’re the ones that are the most versatile.

If you have the ability to transform a specific piece to fit five different looks, that’s better than only wearing something once a year (such a waste). One item that is becoming more versatile is the scarf. Obviously they can be worn in a typical manner around your neck, but they can also be used to accessorize other aspects of an outfit as well. They can be used to tie around the strap of a plain bag to liven it up, or maybe even as a belt. However, one trend that is popping up for spring and summer is the revival of scarves as head wraps.

This look is for a more experimental fashionista. If you’re not yet comfortable with your style, this look might be a bit much for you. A head wrap can easily over power an outfit, so be ready to own it before it owns you.

Wrapping your head with a scarf has been around for decades and has been a staple look for a variety of cultures. There are several ways to utilize a scarf as a hair accessory. A long thin scarf can be tied around the head in a bow or at the back to give the illusion of a thick headband. If you choose to cover the majority of your hair with the scarf make sure you use something with a thicker material for a better hold. There are also several ways to knot the scarf to make it your own. However, I have had the misfortune of seeing a few people getting a little Captain Jack Sparrow with it. It’s not overly flattering unless you’re going for the pirate castaway look.

This look is bold, and it’s fun. So don’t shy away when pulling it off. It’s a major trend for spring and summer so go big with dramatic prints and colors. Go forth and be confident!