Given the vast amount of damning information that has recently come out about the Cole Bros. Circus, it’s puzzling your piece mentioned not a word about it.

Recently, the circus agreed to pay a penalty of $15,000 to settle charges with federal authorities for more than 10 violations including failing to provide adequate veterinary care to elephants traveling with the circus and failure to hire personnel capable of caring for them.

The circus’ elephant handler is none other than Tim Frisco, who was caught on tape viciously attacking terrified elephants with sharp metal bullhooks and electric prods. The footage shows Frisco instructing other trainers to hurt the elephants until they scream and to sink a bullhook into their flesh and twist it. Frisco also cautioned that the beatings must be concealed from the public.

In 2011, the owner of the circus, John Pugh, pleaded guilty to violating the Endangered Species Act, the circus was fined $150,000, and Pugh was placed on four years probation for illegally selling two endangered Asian elephants. The court ordered Pugh individually to serve three years probation, hundred of hours of community service, an additional $4,000 fine and a mandatory $1,200 payment to an organization working toward conservation and rehabilitation of Asian elephants.

Students have the right to know all sides of an issue so they can decide if they want to support an outfit with this sordid history.