Beer pong can lead to more than hangovers, study finds

Dangerous bacteria like Salmonella, Listeria, Staph and E. coli were found on beer pong balls by Clemson University students in the Fall, according to The Associated Press. It was found that bacteria from the balls ended up in the beer.

The students who conducted the study found 3 million bacteria on beer pong balls from outdoor games and 200 bacteria on balls from games played on carpet.

Michele Headley, a 22-year-old UF health science senior, said she’s only played the game a few times.

Headley said when she played beer pong, players would have cups full of beer and a water cup to rinse the ball off when it fell on the ground.

She said she found the process stupid because there would still be tons of bacteria in the water cup.

Unlike Headley, Pedro Macellaro plays beer pong more frequently.

The 21-year-old UF industrial and systems engineering senior said he plays at least twice a month.

Macellaro said he thinks playing outside is healthier than playing indoors because grass might have less bacteria than carpet.

Macellaro doesn’t dwell on the bacteria too much, though.

“Sometimes, you just have to forget about it to have fun,” he said.