<p>Alfonso Ribeiro, known for his role as Carlton in ’90s sitcom “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,” speaks before a crowd of about 475 in the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom on Tuesday evening. Read the story on page 5.</p>

Alfonso Ribeiro, known for his role as Carlton in ’90s sitcom “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,” speaks before a crowd of about 475 in the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom on Tuesday evening. Read the story on page 5.

The Reitz Union Grand Ballroom teemed with laughter and applause Tuesday night as Alfonso Ribeiro spoke about his experiences in show business.

The former “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” actor talked to about 475 people, said Inter-Residence Hall Association president Severin Walstad, a 21-year-old UF public relations senior.

IRHA sponsored the event.

Best known as the rich, intelligent and preppy Carlton Banks on the ‘90s sitcom, Ribeiro emphasized the important roles hard work and luck play in breaking into the business.

“You work hard. You work tirelessly,” he said. “Every day, you do something to help yourself.”

The actor, director and television host once starred in a Pepsi commercial with the late Michael Jackson.

He later landed the title role in the Broadway show “The Tap Dance Kid,” which jump-started his career.

Ribeiro also spoke about his “Fresh Prince” role.

He expressed admiration for former co-star Will Smith.

“I felt like [Smith] had something that was amazing,” Ribeiro said. “He had that charisma.”

Upon audience request, Ribeiro performed the famous Carlton Dance.

The crowd erupted in cheers.

Ribeiro said as of now, there are no plans for a “Fresh Prince” reunion.

Carina Seagrave, a 22-year-old journalism graduate student, said her favorite part of the event was when Ribeiro talked about his cast experiences throughout the years.

“Growing up, I felt like I was part of the Banks family,” she said. “I really like that he keeps that tradition going.”