Gainesville ranked No. 4 town

A recent ranking placed Gainesville among the top 10 small college cities, coming in at No. 4 behind Ann Arbor, Madison and Boulder.

“This ranking highlights the strengths of Gainesville, feeding off two of the top public institutions of higher education in the country, University of Florida and Santa Fe College,” said Jordan Meyer, director of communications and marketing for the Gainesville Area Chamber of Commerce and Council for Economic Outreach.

The American Institute for Economic Research published the report as part of the 2012-2013 College Destinations Index. It analyzed the top U.S. towns and cities for college students based on 12 criteria such as cost of living, entrepreneurial activity and research capacity, according to a Gainesville Area Chamber press release.

UF spokesman Steve Orlando attributed UF’s reputation as a top public research university to Gainesville’s placement.

“The university is part of a vibrant, creative class economy,” he said.

Randi Hall, a 20-year-old UF economics and sociology junior, said since moving to Gainesville, she has appreciated the city’s diverse culture.

“On an average weekend there can be an NCAA championship at stake, an art festival downtown ... or a cultural event that pools all walks of life together in one place,” she said.

Orlando added the shared Gator spirit among residents and students creates a tight-knit community that draws students and visitors from across the county as well as the world.

“All of these pieces together is what makes Gainesville a great college town,” he said.