<p class="p1"><span class="s1">Quarterback Jeff Driskel attempts a pass during Florida’s 33-23 loss to Louisville on Jan. 2 at the Superdome in New Orleans. This season will be Driskel’s second as UF’s starting signal-caller.</span></p>

Quarterback Jeff Driskel attempts a pass during Florida’s 33-23 loss to Louisville on Jan. 2 at the Superdome in New Orleans. This season will be Driskel’s second as UF’s starting signal-caller.

Florida was a running team in 2012.

Led by 1,000-yard rusher Mike Gillislee and mobile quarterback Jeff Driskel, the Gators boasted the third-best ground game in the Southeastern Conference last season with 187.7 yards per contest. But Florida wants increased balance in 2013.

The Gators finished their first season under offensive coordinator Brent Pease last in the SEC and 118th nationally with 146.3 passing yards per game. Florida’s inconsistent passing attack dragged its total offensive output per contest to 334 yards, ranking 12th in the SEC and 104th in the NCAA.

Developing a more balanced attack this season hinges on Driskel’s development.

“We’re much more efficient,” coach Will Muschamp said. “We’ve made some vertical plays down the field against some corners that can cover. So that’s been pleasing to see. Jeff’s been very accurate with the football.”

Driskel has improved his accuracy by developing a quicker trigger and better field vision.

After a year in Pease’s scheme, Driskel is more comfortable in the pocket.

“Experience will do it and getting in the film room and putting in extra time, knowing the routes and knowing the defenses,” Driskel said. “So it’s kind of everything coming together.”

Florida also hopes to aid Driskel’s development by improving pass protection. The Gators ranked 115th in the nation with 39 sacks allowed last season.

“[Pass protection] is something we talked about a lot in the offseason,” offensive lineman Max Garcia said. “We got in, watched some extra film during meetings, like with our sacks. We definitely emphasize communication this year.”

Here Comes the Thud: When Matt Jones has the ball, Florida’s “thud” sessions change. 

Thud means the Gators defenders hit the ball carrier without pulling him to the ground. If Jones is the target, those thuds are not pleasant. 

“When we’re tackling, they don’t tackle him,” Muschamp said. 

With Mike Gillislee headed to the NFL, UF has an opening at running back. Over the course of spring practice, Jones has distanced himself from his competition. 

“Matt’s come on,” offensive coordinator Brent Pease said. “You can see he understands things a lot more. He’s a strong, big kid. He’s got a really good football intelligence.” 

Jones said his development took a step forward when he stopped dancing in the backfield and started to run more forcefully —  a lesson he said he learned during an “aggressive” conversation with Muschamp. 

“It was something I definitely needed to hear,” Jones said. “I knew I had to hit it between the tackles and run angry.”

That downhill style was key to Gillislee’s success. As UF’s workhorse in 2012, Gillislee carried 244 times for 1,152 yards and 10 touchdowns. 

“I’ve got big shoes to fill,” Jones said. “Coach talks about getting a lot of carries, but I’ve still got to stay humble. I’ve got a long way to go.”

Jones carried 52 times 275 yards and three touchdowns as a freshman. He improved as the season went on, playing his best game against Florida State on Nov. 24. 

He carried the ball eight times for 81 yards, including a 32-yard touchdown that stretched UF’s lead to 37-20 with 2:33 remaining in the fourth quarter. 

No light matter: Talent has never been an issue for D.J. Humphries. 

Rivals’ No. 2 overall player in the 2012 recruiting class, Humphries has always had ideal height and athleticism. 

Weight, however, has been an issue. 

In a conference where the top tackles usually weigh a minimum of 300 pounds, Humphries said he entered college at 250. His recruiting page on Rivals had him at 265.  

He was listed at 275 on UF’s 2012 roster and is currently listed at 280, although he says he weighs 283. 

“Ideally, I would like to be 300 by the season, but anywhere from 290, 295,” Humphries said.  “That extra weight, it definitely helps. Especially in run blocking and getting guys off the ball.” 

With Xavier Nixon graduated, Humphries is the heavy favorite to land the starting left tackle job in 2013. 

While most players are using spring to learn schemes or refine techniques, Humphries top priority remains adding good weight. 

“It’s just right weight, you know?” Humphries said. “Don’t want to put on too much weight and be fat and get hurt.”

Contact Joe Morgan joemorgan@alligator.org. Contact Greg Luca at gluca@alligator.org.