<p class="p1">Coach Will Muschamp walks off the field following Florida’s 33-23 loss to Louisville in the Sugar Bowl&nbsp; on Jan. 2 at the Superdome in New Orleans. Muschamp owns an 18-8 record in two seasons with the Gators.</p>

Coach Will Muschamp walks off the field following Florida’s 33-23 loss to Louisville in the Sugar Bowl  on Jan. 2 at the Superdome in New Orleans. Muschamp owns an 18-8 record in two seasons with the Gators.

The Gators have decided to ditch the traditional spring game in favor of what is essentially an open practice. 

Because Florida has only six offensive linemen available, coach Will Muschamp plans to incorporate individual work and seven-on-seven drills during Saturday’s spring game at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

“It’s not fair to go in a spring game situation and ask [the offensive linemen] to take 60, 70 snaps in a row,” Muschamp said. “That’s not healthy. It’s not good. It’s not good for our football team.” 

Guard Jon Halapio (knee) and tackle Chaz Green (ankle) will both miss the game after undergoing exploratory procedures in January. Tackle Ian Silberman is out with a shoulder injury, and tackle Trip Thurman underwent surgery on Monday to repair a torn labrum. Guard Jessamen Dunker is indefinitely suspended as he faces charges of felony grand theft auto and misdemeanor driving with a suspended license. 

Guard Max Garcia, now healthy, has battled back issues during the spring, and tackle Quinteze Williams was listed at defensive tackle last season.  

“It’s very disappointing,” tackle D.J. Humphries said of the offensive line injuries. “But everybody will be back in the summer. Everybody will be back and ready, healthy for the season, so it’ll be cool.”

As a result of the offensive line attrition, Saturday’s spring game will have just four periods of about eight-to-12 snaps of 11-on-11 scrimmaging. Muschamp said those periods “will be normal football, as you watch on a Saturday afternoon.”

Between segments, the Gators will run individual and position group drills for kicks, punts, red zone, offensive line, defensive line and pass rush, among others. 

“It’s gong to be a great day to go out and compete in front of people, have a little crowd noise, replicate what we’re going to have to deal with in the upcoming season,” tight end Colin Thompson said. 

After 15 closed practices, the spring game is usually something of a payoff for the players. Not having it is a disappointment, but being able to practice in front of fans still provides added motivation. 

“You do all those practices pretty much in the quiet, it gets you,” defensive lineman Damien Jacobs said.

“You’re trying to find something to motivate you every day, so when you get a couple people out there on Saturday, it’s definitely going to motivate you. I wish it was kind of like last year when we had the whole game, but it still should be pretty fun.”

To accommodate fans expecting to see a traditional spring game, UF made admission free to the public. Muschamp and his assistants will also wear microphones to keep fans up to speed with the different drills. 

Muschamp said the new format will keep the Gators from doing as much third-down work as he would have liked. Still, Saturday will be another opportunity to pit the offensive and defensive first teams against each other.

“I’m comfortable with this,” Muschamp said. “I really am. This is no different than if we would have a scrimmage. And to me, it’s about getting good-on-good work.”

Injuries: Defensive end Jonathan Bullard will miss Saturday’s spring game due to a hamstring injury. 

Cornerbacks Cody Riggs (hamstring) and Jeremy Brown (groin) are day to day, Muschamp said. 

Position changes: After being listed atop the depth chart at cornerback entering spring, Jaylen Watkins will start the fall as a safety, Muschamp said. 

With Loucheiz Purifoy and Marcus Maye playing well at corner, Muschamp said the move gives Watkins a better opportunity for playing time. 

Darrin Kitchens will play inside linebacker in the fall. He entered spring playing the Sam linebacker position.

Contact Greg Luca at gluca@alligator.org.