New Deal Café: The affordable answer to Mildred’s

As the last stop of my Gainesville food tour I headed to a Saturday lunch at New Deal Café. Adjacent to and run by the owners of Mildred’s Big City Food, New Deal Café is the affordable version of Mildred’s, which was the only Gainesville restaurant to receive the Golden Spoon Award, by FloridaTrend, in 2011.

While for some diners New Deal is spotty in its food quality, the restaurant’s great atmosphere and attentive service make it a solid dining option for those looking for something different in Gainesville.

Known for its wide range of burgers (which may be a tad overhyped), New Deal’s new lunch menu, which began in January, also features soups, salads and creative sandwiches like the fried green tomato BLT ($7) and blackened catfish ($8). I don’t eat red meat (GASP!) so I elected to try the Portabella shroomburger ($10) to get as close to actually trying New Deal’s burgers as possible. Served grilled and accompanied by roasted red peppers, mozzarella and arugula, the shroomburger was really flavorful without being greasy.

My boyfriend had the Giovanni burger ($12), which is served with barbecue sauce, bacon and mozzarella and garnished with fried pickled onions. His review? It was good, but certainly not the best burger in town. Both burgers were served with french fries, which were fine, but nothing spectacular. However, if you’re really feeling like you need a red meat fix, try the Dances with Wolves burger ($14)—a half-pound bison patty with barbecue sauce, fried pickled onions, lettuce, tomato and onion.

In addition to its large wine selection (20 wines under $20), one of the best perks of New Deal Café is the ability to order Mildred’s famous cakes (all $6) from next door and have them delivered directly to your table. These include ricotta cheesecake, chocolate truffle and chocolate peanut butter cheesecake.

New Deal also holds a “Wine Dinner Wednesday” which offers a three-course meal paired with three wines for $30.

At A Glance Details:

Price Range: $$

Good for: Lunch, Dinner

Must try: Portabella Shroomburger

Special Events: Wine Dinner Wednesday

Tip: You can order dessert from Mildred’s next door right to your table!

Hours:

Mon - Thu: 11:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.

Fri - Sat: 11:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.

Location: 3445 W. University Ave., Gainesville, FL