In light of the Boston Marathon bombings, University Police is requesting members of the UF community look out for suspicious packages or mail.

UF has not received any direct threats, but in an email to UF deans, directors and department chairs Thursday, UPD Chief Linda Stump requested “assistance to remain vigilant and increase awareness of any suspicious activity/package and/or envelope that may arrive in your department.”

UF students, faculty and staff should be aware of packages or letters with lumps, bulges, stains, protruding objects or a nonexistent return address. They should also look out for packages with handwritten addresses or address labels with fake companies, wrapped in string, that look like they were not weighed by the United States Postal Service or small packages with excessive postage, Stump wrote in the email.

“This was a proactive outreach to those who would encounter the thousands of pieces of mail that enter campus,” said UPD spokesman Maj. Brad Barber.

Later, the email was forwarded to campus residents and parents.

Stump encouraged anyone who sees a suspicious package to isolate it and to dial 911 or call UPD at 352-392-1111.

“The safety of everyone in the area of the package is our primary concern,” she wrote. “If you think the package is suspicious, it is.”

Contact Kathryn Varn at kvarn@alligator.org.