Munchies 420 Café: Gainesville’s “dankalicious” diner

Since opening its location on University Avenue in late 2011, Munchies 420 Café has built a name for itself around euphemisms some may find unsavory.  However, their food is possibly as savory as food gets. 

When I heard about Munchies for the first time, I was amused by the preconceived aura of the restaurant.  After all, Munchies drives the point behind their euphemistic title even further with aspects of the restaurant’s operation and  items on their menu.  The restaurant is open from 4:20PM to 4:20 AM.  They offer dishes with names like HASH browns, dankalicious chicken nugs and the shroom swiss burger.

Most well-known on Munchie’s menu are their philly steaks and fat sandwiches and wraps, as well as foot long hot dogs and half pound burgers.  I was a little skeptical about their outrageous ingredients (they feature a peanut butter cheeseburger), so I stuck with the Works Philly ($7.49).  What arrived was a delicious philly cheesesteak topped with mushrooms, onions, and peppers.  The philly was roughly the size of my forearm, and came with a side of homemade potato chips.  The monster of a philly was cooked to perfection.  I was concerned that the leftovers would become too soggy when reheated the next day due to the massive amount of juicy meat and vegetables, but it kept well and tasted just as great the next day.

My boyfriend ordered the Fat Gator ($9.79), a fat sandwich special at their Gainesville location.  This fat sandwich is a southwest barbeque philly topped with mozzarella sticks, swiss cheese, and spuds.  Instead of having steak like a normal philly, his sandwich featured chicken fingers.  My boyfriend’s reaction to his order was that while he was unsure how the ingredients would mix, it tasted wonderful.

The only downside some may find to Munchies 420 is there is no real wait staff.  A cook or the cashier will bring you your order, but ultimately they leave you to enjoy the experience on your own.

If you are looking to kick your experience at Munchies 420 up a notch, they are home to the Fire in Your Hole challenge.  The challenge is to eat ten wings seasoned in multiple peppers, including ghost peppers, in less than twenty minutes.

General Details:

Price Range:  $

Good For: Dinner, Late night snack

Must Try: Fat Gator, Fat Sandy, Dankalicious chicken nugs

Hours: Mon- Sun: 4:20 p.m. – 4:20 a.m.

Location: 1702 W University Ave., Gainesville, FL