National Bike Month closed out at downtown library

<p dir="ltr">Participants in a closing event for National Bike Month gather in front of the Alachua County Library Headquarters Thursday.</p>
<div>&nbsp;</div>

Participants in a closing event for National Bike Month gather in front of the Alachua County Library Headquarters Thursday.

As the month of May drew to a close, bicycle enthusiasts gathered at the downtown library headquarters to celebrate the close of National Bike Month.

The event was hosted by the Alachua County Library District in collaboration with the City of Gainesville’s Bicycle/Pedestrian Program to raise awareness of bicycle safety.

“Whether you ride to exercise, to save money or be kind to our environment and roadways, National Bicycle Month is an opportunity to embrace the power of the bicycle to change our daily lives,” said Jodie Patterson, an adult services department employee at the library.

Earlier in the month, the library held its annual law enforcement and community workshop. The event allowed members of the community to discuss pedestrian and bicyclist needs with law enforcement.

William Baruch, the chairman of the bicycle pedestrian advisory board, said bicycle education is most important in moving forward with awareness.

“All colors of the political spectrum and age groups can find something to like about bicycles,” said Baruch.

He said less congestion, cleaner air and overall lower road maintenance costs are additional benefits to cycling.

The city received a silver award from the League of American Bicyclists for its Bicycle Friendly Community program, said Dekova Batey, coordinator for the Bicycle/Pedestrian Program. About 5 percent of Gainesville residents commute to work via bicycle, according to the League of American Bicyclist’s website.

“I’m proud that I can now model safe behavior for my children while wearing a bicycle helmet after attending a presentation that included helmet safety demonstration and free helmet fitting,” Patterson said.

As designated by the League of American Bicyclists, the month of May has been National Bike Month since 1956.