Tony award winning musical previews at Hippodrome Theatre this week

In the musical oasis “Avenue Q,” audience members step into a world reminiscent of their childhood days of watching “Sesame Street.” However, this is not a show for children.

The Tony award winning production “Avenue Q” will play at the Hippodrome Theatre, 25 SE Second Place, beginning May 29. Although this coming-of-age musical features puppets, it is geared toward an adult audience as it includes profanity and sexual content.

The plot centers on an apartment building in New York City where young adults, played by puppets, try to find their purpose in life.

“Avenue Q” is making history because it is the first joint production between the Hippodrome and UF School of Theatre + Dance.

Charlie Mitchell, co-director and professor of theater and dance at UF, said it’s amazing to have a resource like the Hippodrome. He said UF and the Hippodrome never had a chance to work together until now.

Mitchell said one of the themes of the comedic musical is for people to stay in touch with their youthful core.

“Humor is the best way to get things across,” Mitchell said.

In the play, Grace Eunae Choi plays Christmas Eve, an engaged Asian woman with a very thick accent. She said it’s interesting to play a blown-up stereotype. She draws her inspiration for her character from her own mother and comedians like Margaret Cho from “Drop Dead Diva.”

Unlike her other co-stars, Choi does not act with a puppet, which comes with its own set of struggles. Choi said she has to remind herself to maintain eye contact with the puppet instead of with the actor who is holding it.

“I’m just glad I don’t have to hold those damn puppets,” she said.