Distracting backseat drivers can be dangerous, survey says

One single distraction inside a car can be more hazardous to drivers than obstacles on the road: backseat drivers.

A recent survey conducted by www.insurance.com revealed one of the worst distractions to drivers is their passengers.

Of the 500 drivers polled, the largest number of backseat drivers were spouses, followed by mothers and friends. Teens were ranked the lowest.

According to the survey, the biggest annoyances were comments on speed followed by giving directions, excessive talking and pushing an imaginary brake on the floorboard.

It also showed that, aside from offering commentary, passengers tend to distract drivers by fiddling with the radio, talking on the phone, texting, singing and even eating.

Danielle Hilton, a 19-year-old UF public relations junior, said she expects backseat driving on an upcoming family road trip — “especially my dad telling my mom how to drive,” she said. At times, she said, she too takes on the role of backseat driver.

“I tell my boyfriend to slow down all the time because it scares me,” Hilton said. “But drivers need to be conscious of what’s going on.”

Brian Miller, who served as a Broward County deputy sheriff for seven years, suggested travelers manage backseat driving by talking about it before passengers get in.