UF is opening a new satellite campus for graduate architecture students in Sarasota.

A Sarasota County-owned building designed by William Rupp in 1960 will be named Citylab-Sarasota. It’s set to open August 2014, said Peggy Carr, associate dean and professor at UF’s College of Design, Construction & Planning.

“Our goal is to grow our graduate enrollment,” she said. “We are somewhat limited by the space we have here for our graduate studios with our budget being as tight as it is, and this is one way to accomplish that.”

The estimated cost of tuition when the school opens is $731 per credit hour, according to an email from Julie Frey, communications director at the College of Design, Construction, & Planning.

UF will lease the building for $1 per year on the condition that half of the building will be used for community purposes, Cynthia Peterson, founding board member of the Center for Architecture Sarasota, wrote in an email.

This will be the second satellite campus UF has opened for graduate architecture students. The first was in Orlando. Carr said Citylab-Sarasota will follow that model, though the curriculum may focus more on architecture that relates to the Sarasota region.

“I think it’s a great opportunity for the school and students because it offers a new location and Sarasota is such a historical city,” said 20-year-old UF architecture junior Andres Camacho.