<p>Kristin Chilton, a 21-year-old UF geology student, reads “The Higher Taste,” a Krishna cookbook, on the Plaza of the Americas Monday.</p><div> </div>

Kristin Chilton, a 21-year-old UF geology student, reads “The Higher Taste,” a Krishna cookbook, on the Plaza of the Americas Monday.

A South America-based movement aimed at promoting reading is moving to the U.S. But it probably won’t be booking it to Gainesville.

The Adopt-A-Book movement, which began in Venezuela, launched in several U.S. cities on July 4. It encourages participants to leave books in public areas for others to “adopt.” Participants are asked to write the Twitter handle @AdoptaUnLibro on the first page and leave it in a public place.

However, Gainesville residents probably won’t see a similar movement, said John Van Hook, the literature librarian at Library West.

The book exchange probably wouldn’t take off in Gainesville because of too much competition from established companies and organizations, he said.

Jan Fronk, the owner of Book Gallery West, agreed. She said because Gainesville is home to many libraries, bookstores and the Friends of the Library organization, it eliminates interest for the adopt-a-book movement.

Nancy Carson, a volunteer at Friends of the Library, said if the movement reaches Gainesville, it could have negative impacts because people may take the books and sell them.

Gina Hawkins, the executive director of Keep Alachua County Beautiful, said as long as books get picked up, it’s not considered littering. She said her only concern would be that books could get left outdoors to accumulate.

However, Erin Tipping, the youth services manager of the Alachua County Library District Headquarters, said a similar program could add some excitement to the area.

“It combines the thrill of a scavenger hunt — trying to find the book,” she said.