Best anachronistic film soundtracks

There is nothing like hearing Jay-Z blasting alongside city-goers cruising on the Queensboro Bridge circa 1920s New York City, or New Order playing at one of Marie Antoinette’s extravagant parties. These musical anachronisms polarize many movie audiences because of their seemingly misplaced presence. Most recently, Baz Luhrman’s “The Great Gatsby” inspired the ire of many when they heard Beyonce, Jay-Z and Lana Del Rey against the 1920s setting of the film.

Anachronistic musical instances add a different element to film. Just like how any movie soundtracks work, they evoke feeling or prime a scene, regardless of its age.  Songs or musical scores work in a way that transcends time and it allows eras to parallel each other. Here are some examples of these cues in film:

Marie Antoinette

With music from New Order and The Cure, Sofia Coppola’s “Marie Antoinette” captured the title character’s free-spirited youth and quiet restlessness through 80s new wave and post-punk amidst the film’s setting in 18th century France.  The decadence at Versailles paralleled the different yet salient decadence of the music employed, paired aptly with visually stunning sequences.

Moulin Rouge

In classic Baz Luhrman style, the “Moulin Rouge” soundtrack was larger-than-life. The soundtrack featured many cabaret covers of modern songs, such as a Tango rendition of The Police’s “Roxanne” and a duet of Elton John’s “Your Song.” And of course, you can’t discount the soundtrack’s biggest hit, “Lady Marmalade” by Christina Aguilera, Pink, Lil’ Kim, and Mya. 

The Great Gatsby

Baz Luhrman is definitely a sucker for anachronistic musical cues. The Great Gatsby interweaved the pop sounds of 2013 into sounds of the Jazz Age. With the ethereal “Young and Beautiful” by Lana Del Rey and the pop infused numbers from Emeli Sande and will.i.am, the music infused both eras, capturing decadence, dance and emotions. Call it what you want, but the “Gatsby” soundtrack is damn catchy.

A Knight’s Tale

The use of classic rock in 14th century Europe gave the film much edge. The use of “We Will Rock You” was quite memorable, as spectators of a jousting competition chanted the lyrics of the Queen classic. Although the film itself wasn’t a cinematic masterpiece, the soundtrack was undeniably fun and gave a bit more edge to the already badass Heath Ledger.

Django Unchained

The “Djano” soundtrack is just as gritty as the film itself, emphasizing the vision of the latest Quentin Tarantino spaghetti western through the contributions of modern artists such as John Legend and Rick Ross. The use of Jim Croce’s “I Got a Name” remains distinct as it stays intact in its original and folksy glory.

Kill Bill volumes 1 and 2

Quentin Tarantino definitely has a penchant for using musical anachronisms. The chilling “Bang Bang (He Shot Me Down)” by Nancy Sinatra underscored the film’s grim undertones. The use of Santa Esmeralda, a disco group, and Charlie Feathers, a rockabilly legend, interweaves sounds from a diverse range of eras to add a different dimension to the film. The soundtrack brilliantly seeps with scores that highlight the film’s troubled characters and helps narrate The Bride’s journey of revenge.