Electronic Entertainment Expo recap

A few weeks ago was the Electronic Entertainment Expo, one of the largest trade fairs in the computer and video game industry. E3 was an opportunity for many of the major companies in the game industry to reveal news of their most anticipated releases, including a first look at Sony’s PlayStation 4, a trailer for the new Super Smash Brothers game and substantial information regarding software support for the Xbox One.

Microsoft Announcements

If you’ve read one of my previous posts, you should be aware of the rather negative response to Microsoft’s reveal of its newest Xbox and its DRM software. Amidst the wave’s negative reaction, Microsoft made quite a few promises to reveal more information at E3 and to show off their new launch titles. Promises upon which Microsoft worked to deliver with the demonstration of new IPs such as Ryse: Son of Rome and Insomniac’s Sunset Overdrive, along with trailers for established franchises such as a teaser for Halo 5 and a trailer for Metal Gear Solid V. Microsoft promised a release window of November for its new console and also announced that it would begin integrating existing Xbox Live accounts into the new frame work for the Xbox One with the removal of Microsoft points in favor of actual money.

Unfortunately, I can’t help but feel that much of Microsoft’s momentum was undercut by the announcement of the Xbox One’s retail price of$499 and a conspicuous lack of any address toward the controversy and negative feedback from the fans.

Sony Announcements

Revealed just months before the Xbox One, Sony’s PS4 has a very strong following at the moment if only because Sony’s revealed such little information regarding the console’s appearance and final design. While a lot of third party developers had already pledged support for the console, gamers were still waiting for the final reveal of the PlayStation 4. Thankfully, fans were not disappointed by the reveal of Sony’s newest console which was priced $100 less than Microsoft’s Xbox One, and in a small jab at Microsoft, promised to be DRM free and would not require an internet connection.

To their credit, Sony managed to back up many of its jabs with a robust number of announcements and trailers for new games and media set to release for the their new console. Notables include a new trailer for Square Enix’s Final Fantasy Versus XIII now rebranded Final Fantasy XV and a look at Kingdom Hearts 3. Furthermore, a number of promising new IPs were also shown in the form of a gameplay trailer for Bungie’s upcoming shooter, Destiny, and a trailer for a steampunk shooter by Ready at Dawn, of God of War fame, called The Order 1886.

Nintendo

For the most part Nintendo avoided the console showdown between Sony and Microsoft in favor of addressing the primary weakness of their newest consoles. The one thing on most gamer’s since the release of the Wii-U has been the desire for better games and first party support for the new console. While many felt that the Wii-U’s hardware capabilities was a step in the right direction, it’s almost universally felt that the lack of games for the Wii-U has been curtailing the console’s ability to dominate the market like its previous iteration. Thankfully E3 provided an opportunity to draw back consumers to the new console with a slew of trailers and release information for some of Nintendo’s most popular franchises.

Most notably, a reveal trailer for the next Super Smash Brothers game, which is set to feature Capcom’s blue bomber, Megaman, as a new fighter. Nintendo also showcased a trailer for an updated release of the Legend of Zelda: Windwaker HD and a gameplay trailer for another installment in the Pikmin franchise, creatively named Pikmin 3. Additionally, Nintendo also revealed a trailer for Pokémon X and Y for the 3DS which demonstrated new graphics and gameplay mechanics.

For more information you can watch the official press releases below:

Microsoft Press Release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSXicnwHgss

Sony Press Release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmoZAPDV3ew

Nintendo Press Release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rC8l1RKcBw