Feminist Taylor Swift: fighting for equality one lyric at a time

Feminism isn’t new, but perhaps it is now finally becoming mainstream. As of late feminism has been appearing with increased frequency across the Internet. Feminist ideas have been popping up in online news and humor more than ever.

This can be met with skepticism however. Have the tastes of young women changed? It is hard to believe when the popular culture absorbed by young girls is observed.

We live in a time when 25 percent of young American women would prefer to win “America’s Next Top Model” than the Nobel Peace Prize. Young girls idolize singers like Taylor Swift whose lives are focused on their boyfriends or lack thereof.

Meet Feminist Taylor Swift 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The brainchild of Clara Beyer, a rising senior at Brown University, Feminist Taylor Swift went viral on Twitter after her first tweet on June 12.  With over 100,000 followers Feminist Taylor Swift is twisting up the lyrics of Taylor Swift songs in a progressive manner. More than anything however, followers are attracted to the fact the Feminist Taylor Swift is hilarious.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Beyer makes feminism approachable for the general Internet audience. She makes light of many difficult topics (rape, sexual desire, equal pay, standards for women, etc) and uses ironic humor as a vehicle. While the humor still manages to offend certain audiences, the following continues to grow. Young women need a hero, and maybe it’s Feminist Taylor Swift.

Here are some of the highlights from Feminist Taylor Swift. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic