In a national poll that asked 1,000 people which state law enforcement uniform was the most attractive, Florida state troopers ranked No. 4.

In the poll, taken by www.uniformdating.com, Florida was bested by California, Texas and New York.

All of the uniforms in the top five selections featured hats, according to the website.

A news release about the survey results described the Florida state trooper uniform as warm and earth-toned with a “classic and smart” design.

Lt. Jeff Frost, a Florida Highway Patrol public relations officer, said the goal of the uniform is visibility and professionalism.

“We have a distinctive uniform that easily recognizes us to the public as Florida Highway Patrol troopers,” Frost said. “When you look professional in uniform, it instills a sense of pride in the troopers and respect from the public.”

Some UF students, like 21-year-old Santiago Alvarez, disagreed with the ranking.

“The hat is foolish,” said Alvarez, a UF math student. “It’s like ‘You’re really giving me a ticket in that hat?’”

However, Rachel Reiss, an 18-year-old UF political science student, said the uniform’s ranking could be a plus for the troopers.

“I guess it’s an iconic way to bring attention to the defense system of the state,” Reiss said.