State Rep. Keith Perry will host a town hall meeting at the Millhopper Branch Library, 3145 NW 43rd St., Thursday at 5 p.m.

At the meeting, which is the first of a series, Perry said he will give an overview of what happened during the spring legislative session, highlighting changes that will affect UF as well as the city. The meeting will also include time for questions from residents, he said.

The event is important for staying in touch with constituents, Perry said.

“It really is helpful for me because we all get into our own world, our own professions,” he said.

However, he said students typically haven’t shown up at similar events in the past.

“Typically, we haven’t had students at them,” he said. “A couple high school students last year but no college students.”

He may schedule a town hall meeting on campus in the future.

Caroline Anderson, Perry’s district secretary, agreed that while the town halls are “helpful for meeting people where they’re at,” they don’t always reach students.

She said Perry is trying to speak at more student-friendly venues.

He spoke at Santa Fe College after the legislative session ended, she said, and a UF student intern is currently working to strengthen student relations at UF.

“We are doing things to go to students instead of expecting them to go to us,” she said. “[Perry] does really want to go and reach out to the students.”

Contact Kelcee Griffis at kgriffis@alligator.org.