Sunshine with a chance of runny noses and itchy eyes

Typically, people associate the summer season with sunny days, beach trips, warm weather and pure happiness. However, some of us also associate this season with major allergy attacks. The heat brings out some of the worst allergy triggers, but this doesn’t mean that everybody with allergies should avoid the outdoors at all costs. It simply means that one should be prepared and take the necessary precautions to avoid these flare-ups.

Many people think of mold as being only an indoor thing, but that’s actually not the case. Outdoor mold counts peak during the late summer and early fall season. Fortunately, not all types of mold result in allergic reactions. One of the more common types, Alternaria, tends to peak at different times throughout the year. "Alternaria, one of the most common types, can peak at any time," said Dr. J. Allen Meadows, chair of the public education committee at the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (ACAAI). The word of advice for people with heavy mold allergies: avoid being outside on the most humid days of the summer since this is when mold counts are at the highest. When you’re inside, using dehumidifiers and repairing water leaks will help avoid the mold build-ups in your home.

According to the ACAAI, about 2 million Americans are allergic to insect stings, and about 50,000 end up in emergency rooms because of a reaction to an insect sting. In particular, bees, wasps, hornets, and yellow jackets are extremely active during the late summer season. When it comes to your food, keep your meal and drink covered as much as possible. Also, invest in bug spray to keep away the mosquitos and ticks. Although bug spray won’t help towards the bees, wasps, hornets, or yellow jackets, simply avoiding them will do the trick. In other words, beehives and other insect nests shouldn’t be messed with.

Another pesky insect that could be triggering your summer allergies is the dust mite, a microscopic insect. Their numbers peak during the summer because they thrive in warm, humid temperatures. Typically, they nest in beds, fabric, and carpets. Their residue can get into the air, triggering sneezes, wheezes, and runny noses. If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms while in your home, washing your bedding, vacuuming and cleaning your floors, buying a dehumidifier, controlling pet dander, and even freezing pillows that you cannot wash for 48 hours will rid your home of these microscopic pests.

Outdoor activities such as hiking are common during the summer season, which also makes poison ivy exposure common during the summer. Urushiol is an oily organic allergen found in poison ivy, as well as other plants in the poison ivy family. In other words, Urushiol is responsible for the rash that results in touching poison ivy. In America, this plant dates back to the 1600s and people have actually found great use from it. Native Americans use urushiol as dye and poison ivy pollen is a main ingredient of honey in the Midwestern and Southern regions of the U.S. Before you embark on a hiking adventure, brush up on what poison ivy looks like in order to avoid it on the trails.

The most important way to avoid allergy flare-ups is to know what you are allergic to in the first place. If you would like to find out, follow this link to schedule an appointment https://ufhealth.org/allergy-testing