The sky isn't falling: how to deal with rain

Ladies of UF, today I’m going to throw some helpful tips at you that could be considered necessary in the city of Gainesville. I’m pretty sure we can all agree that the weather is Gainesville is completely unpredictable and unpleasant during the summer. Here are some tips on how to survive the fluctuating temperatures and excessive amounts of precipitation.

Check weather reports! I have an Android smartphone, so every morning before I step out of my house, I pull up my weather app and determine what I’m going to do that day.

Obviously weather reports aren’t full proof, and I personally think God likes to laugh at meteorologists for thinking they can predict the weather, but they definitely more helpful than just walking outside and hoping for the best.

My favorite part about weather reports are the “hourly” statistics, because they give you an hour-by-hour break down of what the weather will look like throughout the day and you can plan according.

Bring an umbrella! If I’ve learned anything in my three years of being at the University of Florida, it’s that you really only need three things to survive on campus during the day: laptop, school supplies, umbrella. Am I right or am I right? You could be walking along frat row trying to catch the 120 to get to class in complete sunlight, you reach the Hub and less than five minutes have passed, you get off the bus and Hurricane Katrina Gainesville Style has commenced.

Do you really want to be that girl who walks into class absolutely soaked because she didn’t invest in a simple umbrella? I promise you don’t, because I have been that girl many times.

Also, in somewhat correlation to the weather reports, plan ahead. If you check the weather in the morning and see scattered thunderstorms throughout the day, don’t get upset when you go to the beach and get completely rained out, you were stupid for going in the first place.

On the other hand, if you are like me and you expect rain every day and you dress accordingly, don’t be alarmed when you’re sweating bullets in that poncho because the Ville decided to be a pleasant 85 degrees all day.