<p>Tony Espetia, client relations director for The Pledge 5 Foundation, left, and Hector Galvez play for a cause at the blackjack table during the “Viva Gainesvegas” charity event Friday evening.</p><div> </div>

Tony Espetia, client relations director for The Pledge 5 Foundation, left, and Hector Galvez play for a cause at the blackjack table during the “Viva Gainesvegas” charity event Friday evening.

While many people scurried to avoid the rain Friday, downtown Gainesville lit up its own Vegas-style block party — complete with casino games like blackjack and Russian Roulette, a psychic reader, a magician, local vendors and live music.

From 5-10 p.m., the Pledge 5 Foundation hosted the First Friday Gainesville event themed “Viva Gainesvegas.”

Participants who purchased a ticket earned tokens and VIP wristbands that granted them access to specials at various local businesses in the downtown area. Attendees also participated in a block party.

“In spite of the weather, I like that everyone’s still getting their drinks and going out to eat,” Sabrina Viola, 20, said. “It’s nice to have the deals and have a reason to come out here on a Friday night.”

Kicking off the evening was the Charity Mingle at Maude’s Classic Cafe. People interested in community service were able to meet with Kathy Finelli, executive director of Gainesville Rabbit Rescue, to learn how they could get involved.

“There’s a tremendous need for rabbit rescue,” said Finelli, whose organization has been protecting rabbits and educating people about rabbit care since 1998. “Pledge 5 is a great organization trying to get volunteers for different charities.”

Despite the numerous activities available for participants, the event was tied to community service. Pledge 5 collected new and gently used board games to donate to the Boys and Girls Club. People could either bring the games to Honda Gainesville or to the Opera House, where they received a passport of sorts to downtown specials.

Those who brought board games earlier in the week won free VIP wristbands, while those who brought them in during the event received five dollars off.

“I think Pledge 5 is really community driven and we like to bring people together, and I feel we like to bring people to the local businesses and bring traffic to them,” said Heather Lilholt, office manager at Pledge 5. “I just want people to understand Pledge 5’s vision for community and giving back.”

Topping off the evening was the silent auction and the Honda dice roll. Participants could win credit from playing casino games and using the specials in their passports to bid on items in the silent auction.

Some of the items included vintage-framed photos of Tim Tebow, Elvis and Muhammad Ali, a cruise for two to the Bahamas, a bag of goodies from Trader Joe’s and a gift certificate from Student Maid.

Courtesy of Honda Gainesville, attendees could roll dice for a chance to win a new Honda Accord. People could either use their VIP wristband to roll the dice or stay consistent with the organization’s namesake and pledge to do five hours of community service.

Next month’s theme is “Dog Days of Summer.” According to Pledge 5 director Jason Bowman, it will appeal to many people in Gainesville — especially in light of the recent city commission ruling that allows dogs to be with their owners while they eat at local restaurants.

“We’ll have all sorts of dog-related activities like doggy ice cream and a paw front mural,” Bowman said. “Most of these locations down here all have patios, which make them pet friendly.”

For more information about the Pledge 5 Foundation and its upcoming events, visit the website at: www.pledge5.org or www.firstfridaygainesville.com.