Guests from all over Alachua County aligned the steps of the Gainesville Woman’s Club to celebrate the third annual wine tasting event on Thursday.

After paying the $20 entrance fee, guests could taste the hors d’oeuvres and desserts made by members of the woman’s club, sip on the different wines catered by Celebrations Catering, raffle to win door prizes and bid on silent auction items. A portion of the proceeds collected at the event will benefit Peaceful Paths and Girls Place.

The first and second wine tasting event were joint efforts between each nonprofit organization, said to Gloria Kennedy, chairwoman of the event.

“We wanted something that people could socially enjoy,” Kennedy said.

Renae Clements, executive director at Girls Place, said the annual event is an opportunity for the community to come together for a great cause.

“It’s wonderful to have fun and socialize and know that at the same time you’re supporting children and abused women,” Clements said.

She said that by having the event each year people will be more aware of both nonprofits’ efforts throughout the community.

“I hope they leave happy that they have supported the missions of both of these very important community agencies,” Clements said.

Brandi Corbin, director of shelter services at Peaceful Paths, said wine tasting events are charitable, and they allow people to socialize and have fun.

“I think these events get out awareness about our organization and what our mission is,” Corbin said. “I believe that it actually gets people talking about domestic violence and realizing this is an issue in our community.”

She said that domestic violence has historically been seen as a private matter.

“We hope we make these events very public and speak out so that people aren’t afraid to talk about it,” Corbin said.

Carol Poucher, president of the Gainesville Woman’s Club, said she believes with every year the event will grow.

“By hosting these events annually we hope to attract people of all ages,” Poucher said.

Lissa Campbell, co-chair of the conservation committee at the Gainesville Woman’s Club, said the wine tasting benefit is a good cause that brings people out in the middle of the summer.

“Anytime you can support an area organization that is working on improving all aspects of our community I think is very important and valuable,” Campbell said.