Ajagbe notches first receiving touchdown of career, Gators' 2013 season

<p>Fullback Gideon Ajagbe scores the first touchdown of his Gators career during No. 10 Florida's 24-6 win against Toledo on Saturday at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. </p>

Fullback Gideon Ajagbe scores the first touchdown of his Gators career during No. 10 Florida's 24-6 win against Toledo on Saturday at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. 

Gideon Ajagbe did not play a snap for the Gators in 2012.

But after switching from linebacker to fullback during the offseason, Ajagbe has seen his role increase rapidly. He started on Florida’s first offensive series and scored a touchdown in a 24-6 victory against Toledo on Saturday in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

“I haven’t played much these past three years,” Ajagbe said. “For me to be a starter today, all credit goes to [God].”

With Florida leading 17-6 late in the third quarter, quarterback Jeff Driskel threw a pass to Ajagbe in the flat. After fighting off a tackler, he pushed forward for 12 yards and a first down. Three players later, Driskel again found Ajagbe open, and the junior plunged into the end zone to increase UF’s lead to 24-6.

Ajagbe finished the game with the two catches for 16 yards and a touchdown. He also helped pave the way for running back Mack Brown, who finished with a career-high 112 yards and two touchdowns on 25 carries.

“He’s done an outstanding job blocking, protecting (and) catching the football,” Muschamp said of Ajagbe. “He’s a guy that has really blossomed in the position. That’s why you’ve always got to try and cross-train guys at different spots and see what they can do.”

For Ajagbe, changing positions seemed like an obvious choice. After suffering a torn rotator cuff as a freshman in 2010, an injury that forced him to redshirt, he returned and played four games on special teams in 2011 before not seeing the field in 2012.

Muschamp encouraged him to work at fullback during the summer, a change that has paid dividends so far as Hunter Joyer, UF’s starting fullback, works to get fully healthy following a hamstring injury.

“I’m just happy that I could contribute,” Ajagbe said. “Whatever it is, if I start again next week or if Hunter starts, I’ll play hard, and I’ll play my role. That’s what matters.”

Showers on offense: Much like Ajagbe, Valdez Showers was a player in need of a change of positions. As a redshirt freshman in 2012, he totaled two tackles on the season and saw most of his time on special teams.

During the offseason, Showers moved from defensive back to running back, where he played Saturday. Showers carried the ball twice for 31 yards and was second on the team with four catches for 23 yards.

“I seen it coming, truthfully,” Showers said of his role increasing. “[The coaching staff] told me they had a big role coming for me and it was all up to me to be ready to take on the role. I just had to prepare myself.”

Added Muschamp: “He’s different than what we have. He’s top-end speed guy.”

Gators cut: With NFL teams having to reduce rosters to 53 players on Saturday, several former Gators became jobless over the weekend. The most notable cut was 2007 Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow.

The New England Patriots cut Tebow and former Florida defensive end Jermaine Cunningham. Also joining the list of players looking for a new home was David Nelson (Cleveland Browns), Frankie Hammond Jr. (Kansas City Chiefs), Chas Henry (Tampa Bay Buccaneers), Jaye Howard, (Seattle Seahawks) and Lerentee McCray (Denver Broncos).

Follow Phil Heilman on Twitter @phillip_heilman.

Freshman cornerback Vernon Hargreaves III celebrates after making the first interception of his college career in No. 10 Florida's 24-6 win against Toledo on Aug. 31 at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium