Four ways to get your music on with Gainesville's local music scene

In 2008, Gainesville was named the “Best Place to Start a Band in the United States” by Blender magazine. Since then, the music scene has grown and changed with the addition of new music bars and clubs, festivals and concerts. Gainesville is enriched with musical talent and entertainment venues.

The JAM, located at 817 W. University Ave., is a hip music bar where students can go to hear live music of all genres. According to its website, every night of the week has a different theme. There’s Live Jazz Monday, Reggae Tuesday, World Wednesday and Live Bands Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The instruments resting onstage and hanging from the walls are just waiting to be played by the bar’s customers. The JAM encourages anyone to jump on stage and entertain the crowd.

High Dive, located downtown at 210 SW 2nd Ave., is another live music bar in Gainesville. According to its website, in the past the High Dive has hosted “American Idol” season 8 winner Kris Allen, the Canadian indie-rock group Japandriods, as well as other local and well-known bands from all over. What makes High Dive special is its outside bar that’s decorated with white Christmas lights. But the High Dive doesn’t just host musical events. This summer, the venue hosted the Hurly Burly Male Burlesque show as well as food truck rallies.

The City of Gainesville hosts Free Fridays at the Bo Diddley Community Plaza, located downtown at 111 E. University Ave., every Friday from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. until November. “Little Jake Mitchell and The Soul Searcher” played during African-American Music Appreciation Month in June, among others. According to the website, the concerts feature local talent and bands in surrounding regions with a wide musical selection, including blues, reggae and Latin fusion. All you need is a blanket and a lawn chair to enjoy the outdoor concert.

Fest, a multi-day, multi-venue music festival, is held annually in Gainesville. This year, it’s from Oct. 31 to Nov. 3. According to its website, Fest features underground punk, hardcore, indie and alternative-country bands from all over. Last year, the festival hosted more than 307 bands. This year’s festival will begin with a Pre-Fest in Tampa on Oct. 29 and Oct. 30.

This story originally ran on page 22 on 8/14/2013 under the headline "Exploring and understanding the music scene in Gainesville"