<p>Chocoholic custard from SweetBerries, a local restaurant participating in Gainesville Restaurant Week</p>

Chocoholic custard from SweetBerries, a local restaurant participating in Gainesville Restaurant Week

SweetBerries is a welcome, sugar-coated breath of sweet air to the auto shops and local hopeful eateries on 13th Street. The green, antique-looking seats and brown, wooden tables decorating the small custard shop appeared to have been plucked out of a quaint, vintage furniture store. Even the cafeteria-style ordering system at the register was quaint.

At first glance of the menu, specially created for Gainesville Restaurant Week, the cashier hesitated when asked what constitutes the SweetBerries Sunset concrete, which seemed odd considering she didn’t fail to mention it is one of the most popular flavors at the shop. But she let me try the chicken salad before ordering. And I was given the choice to have my custard dessert brought to me after I finished my meal — not underappreciated.

My $10 tray of food was cheerfully brought to me about 5 minutes after I ordered; my friends’ food took 15 minutes. The chicken salad sandwich looked delicately assembled, but one bite of the fluffy croissant flattened it into flaky, bland nothing. It was almost as if the taste escaped my tongue after a few seconds.

The mediocre chicken salad and limp lettuce became less appetizing with each bite. It needed the crunch of fresh grapes and more chewiness that only raisins could provide. With the downtown green market in such close proximity, I would have thought at least the fruit salad would be fresher.

However, the chocolate chips and generously sized Reese’s bites lodged in the silky folds of the bed — or should I say mountain — of chocolate custard would have been a meal in itself. Even upon arrival, I figured the Chocoholic concrete was a safe bet for dessert — if there’s one thing on a menu that should excel it would probably involve chocolate.

The staff was very accommodating and kind, coming to check on us multiple times in the hour we stayed.

Despite my eating companion commenting on how cute a study spot the photograph-splashed shop might be “if it wasn’t so loud,” it wouldn’t be my ideal lunch spot. But this is the only place for custard in Gainesville, and it’s delicious. Supply and demand, my satiated friends.

Rating:

Price: $

Atmosphere: rustic, open and airy, colorful, loud at times

Staff: amiable, accommodating

Food value: 2 stars (all in the custard)

Overall rating: 2 stars