Organic restaurant Daily Green opened at former Louis' Lunch diner spot in downtown

The Second Street diner that served burgers and fries for 82 years is going green.

Daily Green, an organic restaurant, opened in the shop located at 435 SE Second St., which has sat vacant since area-icon Louis’ Lunch closed in 2010.

The new restaurant features a healthy lunch menu.

It aims to provide fresh, organic food to its customers, said John Arana, general manager and one of the restaurant’s co-founders.

“Our goal is to provide healthy, nutritious food relatively quickly for people on the go,” he said.

Arana said it took the restaurant a while to get the concept together, to create the menu and to update the space, which hadn’t been renovated since the 1950s.

Muna Oli, a 20-year-old UF psychology junior, said her first experience at the restaurant was positive.

“Daily Green is not something that they have much around in Gainesville,” Oli said. “Their stuff is catered to an alternative crowd.”

Oli said a unique feature on the menu is the waffle cone sandwich — a savory cone stuffed with meat or other lunch foods.

“Overall, the atmosphere is more calming and it brings a different crowd — it’s a nice combination of people,” she said.

Daily Green is open 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Saturday.

A version of this story ran on page 4 on 8/26/2013 under the headline "Organic restaurant with unique menu opens in place of diner"