Skip to Content, Navigation, or Footer.
We inform. You decide.
Saturday, June 15, 2024

UF has help and hospitals to treat what ails you

An inevitable fact of college is eventually, you will feel bad.

You may get mono, you may experience panic attacks or you might twist your ankle (or you might have all three happen the same semester).

For what is possibly the first time in your life, your parents won’t be there to care for you.

Luckily, there are many resources on campus to utilize, and a lot of them are included in your student fees, which means (almost) free healthcare!

Student Health Care Center

Also known as the infirmary, this conveniently located building (280 Fletcher Drive, next to the Racquet Club) is your one stop shop for most health needs. Go if you think you’re getting ill, sprained something, need or flu shot or even need to do blood work. Ladies, you can even go for all of your gynecological needs. Most general care appointments are covered with your health fee and insurance. The infirmary offers appointments and walk-ins, but it's better to call first (352-392-1161) or use their online scheduler before you go. You can also visit the health care centers at Shands or Corry Village. Bring your insurance card with you, if you have health insurance.

Counseling and Wellness Center

Soon, dear freshman, you will realize just how stressful college is. Many a first year student before you has suffered anxiety, depression or panic from being away from home. It happens to more people than you would think. Luckily, UF has an excellent wellness center, located on Radio Road, that is there for just about any mental or emotional need you could think of. Schedule a consultation (call 352-392-1575) and the health professionals there can help refer you to services like individual counseling, group therapy, workshops, couples therapy, etc. If you think you need help, make an appointment early, the wait can get long for the free services. And if you have an emergency, don’t hesitate to call.

Disability Resource Center

This office, which is a little hidden on the ground floor of Reid Hall, is where you can go if you think you qualify for disability help. Accommodations they offer may include note taker services, extended test time or priority registration. But the service isn’t for just anyone, documentation (usually from your doctor) and an intake appointment is required before they can determine what you qualify for. If you think this may be the center for you, give them a call at 352-392-8565, extension 200.

This story originally ran on page 19 on 8/14/2013 under the headline "Shands isn’t the only place to go when you’re feeling sick". This story has been corrected from its original version, which falsely said that the SHCC only accepted appointments, and lacked a digit in its phone number.

Enjoy what you're reading? Get content from The Alligator delivered to your inbox
Support your local paper
Donate Today
The Independent Florida Alligator has been independent of the university since 1971, your donation today could help #SaveStudentNewsrooms. Please consider giving today.

Powered by SNworks Solutions by The State News
All Content © 2024 The Independent Florida Alligator and Campus Communications, Inc.