UF senior gets starring role in Luke Bryan music video

Sam Studer might crash your next house party.

His whim of trying to model while in Nashville led to a starring role in country music star Luke Bryan’s music video for “Crash My Party.” He plays the guy who gets the girl — and kisses her on the hood of his truck as fireworks explode in the background.

While shooting for the video, he got a chance to meet the country star.

“He’s a really nice guy, really down to earth,” Studer said.

Studer, a 22-year-old UF anthropology senior, is also an aspiring singer-songwriter. Even though he wants to be an indie/alternative musician, starring in the country video has had its perks.

He said his friends use it at parties to impress women.

“‘Hey, do you like Luke Bryan? He’s in the music video,’” he said, quoting his friends. “It gets people talking.”

Studer’s role is memorable because of his romantic kiss with the blonde woman whom he auditioned and had callbacks with.

“We both ended up getting the part. I guess we had chemistry,” he said. “It was like kissing anybody in real life.”

Although this is Studer’s first starring part, it wasn’t the first time he’s been in a music video.

He’s in Taylor Swift’s Diet Coke commercial, in the scene with people dancing while doing karaoke.

“I was one of the dark shadows in front of the camera,” he said.

Studer said it took about six weeks between auditioning and getting the part, with a callback in between.

“I think for him it’s an out of body experience, and for his friends it’s kind of the same,” said 21-year-old Connor Heinton, a UF finance senior.

Studer, who graduates this December, plans to move back to Nashville to join his friends and pursue his music career. He opens for the band The Dangerous Summer on Saturday at 1982.

A version of this story ran on page 5 on 8/26/2013 under the headline "Gator stars in music video"