UFIT opens second, nighttime Computing Help Desk as a pilot program in Library West

In cooperation with UF Information Technology, Library West opened a new help desk Sunday night in place of the reference service point on the third floor outside the elevator.

UFIT operates mainly from the Hub’s Computing Help Desk, which is open seven days a week, with shortened hours on weekends and holidays. The Hub’s help desk closes at or before 10 p.m. The new Library West help desk will operate from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. Sunday through Thursday.

It will be an extension of the same services provided during the daytime hours at the Hub, said Jana Ronan, associate chair of Library West.

“We have security in the building, and there are a lot of people in Library West during these hours,” she said. “We hope this will provide better service to our students, faculty and staff.”

Amanda Germanio, a 20-year-old history and French junior, said she is looking forward to her computing needs being met.

“This will be a good resource for students,” she said. “An overnight technology desk should be helpful for last-minute emergencies.”

This story originally misstated the new help desk hours as 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. The corrected story, 10 p.m. to 7 a.m., is above. A version of this story ran on page 1 on 8/26/2013 under the headline "New technology help desk opens for nighttime visitors to Library West"