Golfweek rates UF's Mark Bostick Golf Course 20th best campus golf course

<p>Maintenance staff members Scott Dowling, back, and Mike Brown, front, line up to hit at the driving range of UF’s Mark Bostick Golf Course on Wednesday.</p>

Maintenance staff members Scott Dowling, back, and Mike Brown, front, line up to hit at the driving range of UF’s Mark Bostick Golf Course on Wednesday.

UF’s Mark Bostick Golf Course was recently ranked by Golfweek magazine as the 20th best campus golf course among others nationally.

The 6,700 yard, par-70 course has placed in the top 20 for the past four years.

Scott Hampton, the course’s director of golf, said he thinks the success of the course is due to its challenging holes, consistent maintenance and $4 million 2001 face-lift, which included redesigned holes and new putting greens.

“The renovations contribute to the success, as it helped upgrade the course to the standards it needed to be — making it a difficult golf course and challenging for the teams,” Hampton said.

The semiprivate course supports the university’s Division I men’s and women’s golf teams. It hosts daily practices, collegiate events, yearly fundraisers, cross-country races and high school events.

Michael Bobbitt, an assistant golf coach at P.K. Yonge High School, said the ranking reflects the course’s improvements.

“It’s amazing how the course takes time to host the men and women’s Gator golf teams, alumni and students while giving us the space to have our high school matches here as well,” Bobbitt said. “They are running a great organization here.”

A version of this story ran on page 5 on 9/26/2013 under the headline "UF’s golf course is 20th best"