Hub renovations over budget but students now reaping benefits

The Hub may not be new, but students are noticing its improvements.

A project that broke ground on May 6 was meant to resolve the overcrowding in and outside the Hub with additional seating.

According to Alligator archives, the renovations were projected to cost $350,000.

In an email interview, Chandler Rozear, project manager of architecture and engineering with the UF Physical Plant Division, said the renovations alone ended up costing about $335,000, but the total cost of the project was above that estimated amount.

“The total cost of the project, including design, permits, outages and inspection fees, pushed the project cost to a bit over $417,000,” Rozear said.

Still, he sees the renovations as having a positive effect on the Hub and the area around it.

“It has proven to be a most attractive improvement to the area by enhancing the flow of people through the area, providing a new bus shelter, better access to the Food Service Court in the Hub, as well as providing a very pleasant outdoor seating area,” he said. “It does a good job of connecting the Hub to the street and the people in that area.”

The Hub’s new covered seating has replaced its old concrete tables.

John Shahin, a 19-year-old UF biochemistry sophomore, said the improvements were necessary.

“I remember how annoying it was eating with my friends on those old tables,” he said. “The umbrellas are wonderful. The additions made to the Hub were a much-needed improvement, easily worth the cost.”

A version of this story ran on page 4 on 9/12/2013 under the headline "Hub renovations pricey but worth it"