New supplement marketed as "legal alternative" to study aid drugs to hit the shelves soon

A new supplement set to hit college campuses is being marketed as a legal replacement for illegal prescription drug use.

Described as a “brain supplement,” Cerebral Success advertises six hours of naturally enhanced cognitive function — an alternative to the prescription stimulants students often take in an attempt to study.

“Cerebral Success gives you focus and energy, but in addition, it gives you heightened memory and health benefits in the form of Omega-3 DHA and antioxidants,” said CEO Trevor Hiltbrand.

In a recent survey conducted by UF and Washington University in St. Louis, two-thirds of people surveyed reported they believed the use of prescription stimulants is a moderate-to-large problem among young adults.

The report found nearly 12 percent of the surveyed group had diverted medication either by supplying others with stimulants or by taking someone else’s medications.

UF epidemiology Ph.D. student Sonam Lasopa co-authored the study.

“These drugs are to be used under supervision of a medical professional and are intended for use in those with [attention] problems,” Lasopa wrote in an email.

According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, the unauthorized use of prescription stimulants including Adderall, Ritalin and Concerta can lead to an increase in blood pressure and heart rate as well as a decrease in sleep and appetite. Repeated use can lead to cardiovascular concerns and addiction.

But 19-year-old UF public relations sophomore Josh Ferrari understands the lingering attraction to stimulants.

“Students put a lot on the line to have a successful run in college, so I don’t doubt that a lot of people use them to help them focus,” Ferrari said. “If there was a legal alternative, I would probably want to try it.”

Hiltbrand, who graduated from Brigham Young University in 2011, began developing the alternative supplement for himself while in college.

“I always struggled to focus on studying, so I started trying to mix different natural supplements. People started to notice and would come knocking on my door asking for some,” Hiltbrand said. “That was when I knew I had a product.”

Hiltbrand recently began raising funds through Indiegogo to take the product, which can now be found online, to physical east-coast university towns.

The amount of money raised will determine how soon UF students see Cerebral Success in stores near campus.

Hiltbrand also recommends that when taking his product, students stay hydrated and maintain recommended levels of nutrients.

A version of this story ran on page 8 on 9/17/2013 under the headline "Supplement looks to replace illegal study aid drugs"