OneRepublic coming to UF on October 10 as part of anti-smoking tour

The Student Government Productions music and entertainment board announced Friday that its first concert of the year, featuring headliner OneRepublic and opener TeamMate, will take place Oct. 10 at the Stephen C. O’Connell Center.

This concert is a part of the truthLIVE concert tour, said Daniel Levin, a 21-year-old UF industrial and systems engineering senior and SGP chairman.

“They approached us in April because they heard about how big of a presence SGP has at UF,” Levin said. “UF was chosen out of only a handful of schools.”

SGP is sponsoring about $40,000 of the concert; the rest is covered by truthLIVE, Levin said.

TruthLIVE is a concert tour sponsored by the anti-smoking campaign the truth. Tickets will be available for students with their Gator 1 Cards on Oct. 1 at the O’Connell Center from noon to 5 p.m., said Levin. He expects about 8,000 students to attend.

Doors open at 6:30 p.m. and opener TeamMate will play at 7:30 p.m.

Nick Kaufman, a 20-year-old marketing junior, first heard the news at the OneRepublic concert in Orlando this summer when the lead singer announced possible plans for a UF show.

“All of my friends and I were yelling and screaming,” he said. “We were so excited.”

Since then, Kaufman said he has been anxiously checking online for information about the show.

“I will probably be the first in line for those free tickets,” he said.

A version of this story ran on page 4 on 9/17/2013 under the headline "OneRepublic coming to UF Oct. 10 as part of anti-smoking tour"