Porters Community Farm preps for workshops, next growing season

<p>Ellen Vessels, 27, coordinator of the Florida Organic Growers GIFT Gardens program, shovels compost at Porters Community Garden, located at 518 SW Third St.</p>

Ellen Vessels, 27, coordinator of the Florida Organic Growers GIFT Gardens program, shovels compost at Porters Community Garden, located at 518 SW Third St.

By 10 a.m. Tuesday, locals were already bent over in the rich soil of Porters Community Farm, kneeling and pulling weeds to prepare for planting the next crop: lettuce.

After a little more than a year in operation, the farm, located at 518 SW Third St., has grown more than 500 pounds of organic produce and donated it to St. Francis House. Now, as it gears up for the fall growing season, garden organizers are planning a series of how-to workshops to teach residents about gardening.

Travis Mitchell, the farm project manager, said since the project started, the farm has continued to expand while also producing full-scale. A November gift of fruit trees from Chestnut Hill Tree Farm will take another year or two to get fully established.

Mitchell said one of the upcoming workshops will help residents learn how to start their own vegetable seeds and samplings, and to plant at home.

It will be held on Sept. 21 from 10 a.m. to noon, and the public is invited to register online at http://www.growgainesville.wordpress.com.

Another workshop about harvesting rainwater will be held Oct. 5, which will demonstrate how to properly use rainwater in gardens.

Zac Totta, a 21-year-old UF sustainability and the built environment senior, said he originally came to the farm because he wanted to learn about growing food and agriculture.

Now, he said, he’s helping prep the ground for the cooler season and for new crops.

“I’m here to see the process of the produce that we grow, and it’s nice to spend time doing something physical while helping out the community in some way,” said Totta.

Donna Smith, director of A to Z Professional Childcare Academy, said she’s taken groups to visit the farm during the last year. She said, so far, it’s had a positive impact.

“I feel that the vegetables grown over there are quality vegetables,” Smith said. “That does enhance the health and knowledge, even for the children, as they see them grow.”

A version of this story ran on page 3 on 9/12/2013 under the headline "Community garden preps for workshops, next season"