For the outdoor-loving UF student, there are two big organizations to know: OAR and TRiP. They’re both great for students who love nature, exploring, and adventurous trips (we’re talking hiking, not cruising here).

Chances are you’ve heard these acronyms around campus, but the big question on many minds is “What’s the difference?”

Well, here goes. For starters, OAR stands for Outdoor Adventure Recreation and TRiP stands for Travel and Recreation Program. Secondly, TRiP is more of a service – it’s subsidized by UF and the leaders are paid. OAR is a SG club and all the people involved are volunteers. OAR will meet every Thursday at 6:30 in Yon Hall, and there are activities at least once a week, sometimes even seven in one week. TRiP isn’t a club, so there’s no real meetings. There’s a registration day, where students sign up for the trips they want, and then the actual trip, but that’s all you do in a whole semester.

One essential difference is cost. OAR really knows how to reel members in on this one.

“The trip is entirely free,” said OAR president Nelson Anderson, “the only cost someone pays to go on a trip is a share in gas.”

Backpacking in North Carolina for the weekend with OAR will cost you $40 and most Florida trips will range from $15 to $10. TRiP’s prices tend to be a bit more expensive because you’re renting equipment, paying for transportation and getting food. That being said, TRiP will go places like the Appalachian Mountains or even up in the sky in a hot air balloon, so it’s kind of a given that you’ll be paying a little more.

Another consideration is skill level.

“I feel like TRiP is more for the beginner outdoor enthusiast, because we do a lot more education,” said assistant TRiP leader David Reed, “the crowd that comes here haven’t really been outside before.”

On TRiP’s adventures, there will be people guiding you every step of the way – it’s their job. There’s no need to panic if you’ve never done something outdoors-y because the TRiP leaders are trained to help students the entire time. TRiP will also teach students about no-trace principles and how to camp efficiently. While OAR isn’t going to mandate any outdoor experience, it’s probably best to know a little about what you’re doing. The leader of the trip will, of course, be as helpful as he or she can be, but it’s not the same as TRiP’s guidance.

Okay, but which one to commit to? Well, both. If you really love the outdoors, join OAR and sign up with TRiP. There’s no rivalries, no clashing meeting days and both organizations are great at what they do.

How you handle these organizations are all about your comfort and skill level. If you already love the outdoors and have a knack for hiking or climbing, head out with OAR as much as you can and save up for a big adventure with TRiP. If you’re a bit nervous about outdoor activities, try something with TRiP first that’s not going to be too expensive. If you find that you like what you’ve done, look into OAR. Either way, the adventure never ends at UF.