Alachua County Fair runs through this weekend

<p>Patrons walk in front of a Ferris wheel Monday evening at the Alachua County Fair, held at the Alachua County Fairgrounds, 3100 NE 39th Ave. The fair runs through Saturday.</p>

Patrons walk in front of a Ferris wheel Monday evening at the Alachua County Fair, held at the Alachua County Fairgrounds, 3100 NE 39th Ave. The fair runs through Saturday.

The Alachua County Fair has opened its gates for another round of rides, shows and fried food.

The fair, which has been coming to the county for more than 40 years, opened last weekend and runs through Saturday at the Alachua County Fairgrounds, 3100 NE 39th Ave.

Along with tried-and-true fair attractions, like carnival rides and funnel cake, the fair is introducing new bands, new food vendors, and a new show — “Wild About Monkeys” — this year, said Miriam White, a fair spokeswoman.

White said new food vendors include a smoothie booth and a locally grown boiled peanuts booth.

Kurtis Lee, a 21-year-old UF mathematics senior, said that although he enjoyed the “Wild About Monkeys” show, he would probably not go next year.

“I only had fun because I was with friends,” he said. “The fair felt pretty low quality, but the price is fair.”

But Vassia Daskalakis, a 19-year-old UF accounting sophomore, said she would attend again.

“What I liked most is that it was cheap,” she said. “I won two fish in a game, and they had tons of unhealthy food, like fried butter.”

Daily specials include a student’s day on Friday, on which students with a valid ID or ticket provided by the school will be admitted free between 2 and 5 p.m.

A version of this story ran on page 1 on 10/22/2013 under the headline "Alachua County Fair runs through this weekend"